General Job Description: The Children, Youth and Teen Ministries Director serves as the primary point of contact for coordinating, developing and leading children (ages 5-8), youth (ages 9-12) and teen (ages 13-18) activities at Bedford First United Methodist Church. These programs and activities should be designed with the purpose of enabling children (ages 5-8), youth (ages 9-12) and teens (ages 13-18) to develop and grow in their faith as Christian disciples. This is a part time position with 10 hours per week including a Sunday children’s program.
This leader should show evidence of passion for youth ministry, genuine interest in responding to the hopes and concerns of youth in this community, prior effective ministry leadership, and evidence of active and growing discipleship. This person should demonstrate:
1) a basic knowledge of youth development, including appropriate challenge and safety concerns
2) good listening skills
3) effective communication with people of all ages
4) skill in collaborative planning and implementing ministry
5) working well with others
6) completion of tasks in a timely manner.
• High-school diploma or equivalent
• Pass a back ground check conducted through the church, and a drug test
• At least one year experience working with children, youth and teens or equivalent
• Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to communicate Biblical truth and doctrine in a variety of creative, meaningful, understandable
and age-appropriate ways
• Working knowledge of child development and current youth culture
• Ability to plan and implement successful programs and events for children and/or youth
• Ability to use relevant technology such as: email, UMC Websites, online training, Word, Excel, Power
Point or Keynote, social networking media and apps such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
• Ability to work effectively, positively and cooperatively with other staff and lay leaders
Primary Job Responsibilities
Create, develop and implement ministry programs
Ensure adequate staffing (youth teachers and volunteers) according to the
church Safe Sanctuary Policy.
Ensure that all teachers and volunteers have passed a background check conducted through the
Ensure adequate materials are available to person(s) leading the classes
Schedule and lead Safe Sanctuary procedures training for all youth staff and volunteers
Responsible for all promotion of the program.
Oversee a weekly Sunday school for children (ages 5-8)
Ensure adequate staffing (teachers and volunteers) according to the church Safe
Develop missional activities (local and world focus) for the class.
Oversee a weekly program for youth and teens (ages 9-18) that addresses faith
development and provides missional opportunities
Recruit, train, and schedule Acolytes etc. for weekly worship services
Plan and coordinate with the Senior Pastor an annual worship service led by youth
Develop and implement outreach to children (ages 5-8) and youth/teens (ages 9-18) living in the
Develop and implement outreach within the greater Bedford community – build bridges with non-UMC
community organizations (e.g., School District, Boys & Girls Club, Chamber, etc.)
Ensure the church’s youth/teens (ages 9-18) attend periodic Christian conferences, concerts, missions,
Facilitate and encourage children, youth and teens to participate in camping opportunities and other
activities available through the Indiana United Methodist Conference.
Other duties as assigned.
Accountable to the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Annual evaluation by the Senior Pastor and SPRC.
Inquiries should be made to the following email address: BFUMCSPRCChair@gmail.com.